Saturday, December 15, 2012

I couldn't put him down

While trying to figure out how to write this post I have realized it is so much easier to write about the fun, light stuff.  I don't even know where to start with my thoughts about the tragic event of yesterday's shootings. I don't know if my heart would have hurt this much for the families if I did not have a son of my own.  I can't imagine the amount of pain each family is going through knowing they will not hold their babies anymore.  How is it possible to heal from that kind of tragedy?

I hate that it takes a tragedy for me to realize how lucky I am.  The past couple of days Henry has been very cranky, mostly during the day, which is a switch from the previous week.  He is tired but won't go down for a nap and then gets overtired, which for him is the most painful thing (up to this point) and I have been pulling my hair out trying to get things done because he is just crying all the time.  I would get him to sleep, put him in his crib and fifteen minutes later he would be awake again.

But yesterday, I didn't put him down.  I didn't care if the groceries needed to be put away, or the clothes in the washing machine needed to be moved.  It didn't matter that my phone was ringing or that I have Christmas presents to work on, I didn't put him down.  We slept for an hour together and then he woke up, still unhappy.  It took me a while, but I got him back to sleep and  I still didn't put him down.  I watched TV while he slept in my arms.  I couldn't put him down.  I didn't know if I would ever put him down again.  I just wanted to hold him and protect him forever.

I don't realize how quickly time is going.  I have honestly loved every stage he has gone through and I look forward to all of the other stages.  I'm sure I won't realize how fast he is growing until I look back one day and he is in Preschool and then Kindergarten.  I hope for the time being I take time to really comfort him when he is upset and know that nothing is more important than taking the time to hold him close and not put him down.

No comments:

Post a Comment