Saturday, April 20, 2013

Girls' Trip

Misty, Me and Rachel
Every year, my sister, Blythe, Mom and sister-in-laws, Rachel, Lindsay and Misty go on a girl's trip.  This was our second year to meet in Palm Springs and I have to admit, I was dreading it!  I didn't want to leave Henry AT ALL.  There were a couple weeks where I had just decided I wasn't going to go, it was just too hard to be away from him.  Yes, I realize dramatic, but I spend all day every day with this
amazing little person and I didn't, and still don't, want to miss a thing.  

Well, needless to say, I got on the plane, but not before Henry happened to wake up 15 minutes before I was supposed to leave and as I'm handing him over to Andrew he is gripping my shirt and screaming, which then, of course, set me off and I cried on the way to the airport.  It was a very dramatic goodbye. Andrew tells me later that he was sound asleep about 30 seconds after I left, should've known.

I made it to Palm Springs with the knowledge that if I'm too miserable I can buy a plan ticket home and return early.  This was a very comforting thought.  Of course once I got there it was so good to be with my sisters that I didn't want to leave early.  I had teary moments and I missed him all the time, but I was consoled with nonstop laughter and our usual deep discussions about life.  I was able to Skype Andrew so that I could see Henry, but he didn't really recognize me and mainly just hung up on me.  Technology made the distance easier though.

The trip went by quickly and soon we were at the airport to come home.  Lindsay and I checked in and then realized we didn't have assigned seats.  I just looked at her and told her I was going to have a melt down in front of all these people until someone gave us their seats.  Luckily, a wonderful United agent told us to get on the plane and they would close the door so that no one else could come through.  I guess in this case "you snooze, you lose" really worked out for me.  We had seats together and the rest of the flights were a breeze.

I arrived home and couldn't wait to see my little boy.  It was freezing, literally, in Wichita.  So, I grabbed him out of his seat and took him inside to hug and kiss him.  He had a very confused look on his face and when he saw Andrew wanted to go to him.  I handed him over, but kept smiling and talking to him.  Once Andrew saw our luggage he tried to hand him over to me, emphasis on tried, but now he was gripping Andrew's shirt because he didn't want to come to me.  I was heartbroken.  I teared up, but tried to keep it together.  It took a good day for him to come to me and another half a day for him to want to nurse again.

Everything is back to normal now, but I either need to leave him more often, so he is used to it, or I will never leave him again.  Any thoughts?

Oh, and a big thank you to my in-laws, Sally and Lee for driving down from Indiana to help Andrew while I was gone!  I know Henry was in great hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment